February 20, 2009 (Montreal, QC) — Quebec’s largest show dedicated exclusively to cycling and cycle touring is back for a 7th consecutive year! On the weekend of February 20, 21 and 22, 2009, at Place Bonaventure, visitors will have the opportunity to meet some 200 representatives from the cycle industry, gathered under one roof.
The Bicycle Show Expodium is a one-of-a-kind event intended for everyone who loves cycling, from the beginner to the seasoned enthusiast. “Over the years, the Show has built a great reputation due to the high quality of its conferences and the impressive number of cycling-related booths, among other things. In these challenging economic times, cycling is an appealing, economical method of transportation that’s easily accessible to all,” explained Jan P. DubÃ©, President of Expodium International Inc. and promoter of the Show. This year’s Show is presented in collaboration with SWISS, BIXI, La Presse, Ã‰vasion, VÃ©lo Mag and FQSC.
A preview of what’s new:
– Official launch of the membership drive for BIXI, the brand new public bike system available to Montrealers starting in spring 2009. Attendees will even have a chance to try it out on the BIXI track.
– First Canadian public unveiling of Shimano’s multiple award-winning electronic derailleur. This new technological device is the result of unprecedented progress and represents the future of bicycle components.
– Presentation of Argon 18’s E-114 cycle, winner of the coveted Eurobike Award in the “Speed Bike” category.
– The launch of many products designed and made in Quebec, including Propulsion, a new dorsal support device created to fit most saddles, providing adequate, effective support during climbs, and Kargoo, a bicycle cargo trailer specially made for cycle touring.
– The new Polar CS600X training computer with route-positioning functionality.
– Official unveiling of the new Boutique Concept Guru, a high-end bike manufacturer in the Montreal area.
– CafÃ© Ã‰vasion, where you can relive the thrills of the Tour de France, thanks to the collaboration of Ã‰vasion.
– The 200-metre Journal MÃ©tro Test Track to try out various models of bikes.
In addition to discovering the new 2009 cycle collections from major manufacturers like Kuota, Look, Opus, Devinci, Giant, to name a few, visitors can learn more about special cycling apparel from well-known brands such as Louis Garneau, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi and Nalini.
Cruising towards the holidays
Hold on to your helmet, because this year’s Show will be welcoming Canada’s largest selection of representatives from the cycle touring industry. Visitors can discover the most beautiful cycling circuits Ontario and Quebec have to offer, including the VÃ©loroute des baleines in Manicouagan. Fans of cycle touring will be impressed with the array of destinations available, in over 30 different countries! Cycling activities for charitable causes will also be showcased at various booths. In other words, whether you’re keen on riding, touring or giving back to the community, you’re sure to pedal away with something!
On Sunday, February 22, families are front and centre at the Bicycle Show!
Admission is free on Sunday for children under 12 accompanied by a parent. “It’s important for us to encourage families to visit the Show, so they can discover a family activity that brings kids and parents together, especially given today’s hustle and bustle lifestyle.” Children can develop a love of cycling very early in life and we’re here to pass on that joy. Who knows, maybe some day one of these kids will turn out to be a great cyclist of international calibre!” explained Jan P. DubÃ©.
Who will be the lucky winner?
La Presse, Swiss International Air Lines, Suisse Tourisme and Argon18 are giving one lucky visitor the chance to ride away with a grand prize valued at $7,000. The prize includes two plane tickets to Zurich or Geneva, Switzerland, transportation for two bikes, two “Swiss Pass” train passes that also give free admission to 450 museums across Switzerland and two 2009 Cobalt performance hybrid bikes. Complete contest details are available in the Visitor’s guide distributed at the entrance of the Show.
The bicycle has many callings: it is a practical method of transportation, a leisure activity that combines exercise and the great outdoors and a competitive sport. The one thing that’s sure is that cycling holds a treasured spot in the lives of Quebecers. The Bicycle Show Expodium, for the thrill of the spin!
For a complete list of exhibitors and for rates information, please visit www.expodium.ca.