2017 UCI Road Worlds Elite Men’s Road Race Results, PHOTOS – Sagan Wins Historic Hat-trick, Boivin 35th
Sagan vs Kristoff © Cor Vos
September 24, 2017 (Bergen, Norway) – Peter Sagan (Slovakia) took home a historic third consecutive Elite men’s world championship road race title besting local favourite Alexander Kristoff (Norway) at the line in a dramatic finish to the 267.5km finale of the 2017 UCI Road Worlds in Bergen, Norway. Michael Matthews (Australia) landed 3rd on the final podium.
Boivin © Chris Auld
Guillaume Boivin was the top Canadian in 35th with Hugo Houle 81st and Antoine Duchesne 120th as the brutal course saw 1/3 of the peloton abandon.
Hugo Houle © Chris Auld
On the final lap the remaining riders were together when Julian Alaphilippe (France) attacked and was joined by Giovanni Moscon (Italy).
The duo were caught near the end as Moson was later DSQ’d for hanging on to a vehicle too long. A pack of 26 riders sprinted to the line as Sagan, suddenly moved to the front and battled with Kristoff for the win in perfectly timed photo finish.
Sagan dedicated the victory to Italian Michele Scarponi and to his wife who is expecting their first child.
Final podium (l-r) Kristoff, Sagan, Matthews © Cor Vos
1. Peter Sagan (Slovakia) 6:28:11
2. Alexander Kristoff (Norway)
3. Michael Matthews (Australia)
4. Matteo Trentin (Italy)
5. Ben Swift (Great Britain)
6. Greg Van Avermaet (Belgium)
7. Michael Albasini (Switzerland)
8. Fernando Gaviria (Colombia)
9. Alexey Lutsenko (Kazakhstan)
10. Julian Alaphilippe (France)
35. Guillaume Boivin (Canada) 1:20
81. Hugo Houle (Canada) 3:13
120. Antoine Duchesne (Canada) 10:21
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.