December 13, 2016 (Costa Rica) – Canada’s Quebexico was on the start line at the 2016 Gran Premio de San José that took place on Sunday Dec. 11 as the lead up to the Vuelta Banco Popuular a Costa Rica. The UCI 1.2 race is the second event on the 2017 UCI America Tour calendar.
Three Canadians took part in the race as members of the Quebexico team including Michel Jean, Jean Michel Lachance and Antoine Fabry. Also on the team are Alejandro Padilla (Guatemala) and Adam Carr (USA).
Jean was the top Canadian in 20th at 2:56 behind race winner Pablo Alarcon (Canel’s – Specialized) after team Quebexico missed the break of the day. His teammate Lachance finished close behind in 21st in the same chase group. Fabry finished 38th at 4:16 behind.
Quebexico Team riders Padilla crossed the line in 34th, also 4:16 back, while American Carr finished 58th at 4:20 behind. The 94km race was completed at a very fast 48.21km/h.
The Quebexico Team is owned by Jean Michel Lachance and takes its name from the consulting service he runs of the same title. The five riders of Quebexico will compete in the UCI 2.2 Vuelta Banco Popuular a Costa Rica, which runs from Dec. 13-25.
Lachance has helped bring a team to race in Costa Rica for several years now. In 2015, his team Ride for the Planet saw Anton Varabei win stage two when the event was called the Vuelta Kolbi a Costa Rica. Check back for updates at Pedal Magazine during the tour.
1. Pablo Alarcon (Canel’s – Specialized) 1:56:59
2. Daniel Bonilla (Nestle-Giant) 0:01
3. Roman Villalobos (Canel’s – Specialized)
4. Ivan Balikin (Seleccion Nacional de Rusia 1:00
5. Elias Vega (Nestle-Giant)
20. Michel Jean (Quebexico) 2:56
21. Jean Michel Lachance (Quebexico)
34. Alejandro Padilla (Quebexico) 4:15
38. Antoine Fabry (Quebexico) 4:16
58. Adam Carr (Quebexico) 4:20
Full results here.