February 25, 2014 (London, ON) – The Forest City Velodrome in London Ontario held the 7th annual FCV Youth Championships p/b MEC on Saturday afternoon. This Youth race was a culmination of a lot of hard work by the 57 racers who have spent the winter training. Track racing in Ontario is exploding with the promise of the New Milton Velodrome on the horizon.
There were nine categories of U19 racers taking to the boards of the 138m indoor Velodrome, with many outstanding performances throughout the day. Five riders had exceptional results and dominated their categories.
- Pee Wee (U13) Boy’s – Daniel Gregory (London) – Four Track Records.
- Minime (U15) Girls – Nia Byway (Ottawa) – Three Track Records.
- Minime (U15) Boys – Braydon Schooley (Peterbourgh) – Three Track Records.
- Cadet (U17) Girls – Naomi DeSousa (Ancaster) – Four Track Records.
- Junior (U19) Girls – Katherine Maine (Ottawa) – Three Track Records.
At the end of the Championships there were 22 track records that fell as the athletes competed in their own five-event Omnium. Speed and fitness seemed to be at the front of everyone’s mind.
The FCV would like to thank all of the Volunteers who made the Championship day run very smoothly. To the parents who cheered the competitors during the events… Lots of noise means lots of records.
Finally thank you to our Championship sponsor MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) who made the medals possible for the top five in each category.
Complete results are presented here.
For more information on the programs at the FCV: www.ForestCityVelodrome.ca