August 19, 2011 (Val di Sole, Italy) – France’s Floriane Pugin (Fra) Scott 11 qualified first in the women’s competition today with a time of 3:55.792 in Val di Sole, Italy in preparation for Sunday’s big finale. This weekend’s event marks the final race of the 2011 UCI World Cup series and in the women’s competition, it will come right down to the wire.
Defending World Champion Tracy Moseley (Gbr) Trek World Racing currently leads the series over Pugin by 150 points. Moseley qualified fourth today. Myriam Nicole (Fra) Riding Addiction Commencal was second with Rachel Atherton (Gbr) Commencal third. Canada’s only entrant, Miranda Miller (Can), qualified 24th and did not advance to the final.
In the men’s qualification, it was unsurprising that World Cup dominator Aaron Gwin (USA) Trek World Racing took the top seed. However, Canada’s Steve Smith (Can) Devinci Global Racing showed he is on form to make his mark on the season in similar fashion to last year when he won silver at the World Championships. Smith qualified second in Val di Sole today with the World Championships close on the horizon. Danny Hart (GBr) Giant Factory Team cruised into the third qualification spot. Canada’s Matthew Beer and Kyle Sangers qualified 53rd and 155th, respectively. As only the top 80 make it through to the finals, Sangers did not qualify.
1. Floriane Pugin (Fra) Scott 11 3:55.792
2. Myriam Nicole (Fra) Riding Addiction Commencal 1.415
3. Rachel Atherton (Gbr) Commencal 6.514
4. Tracy Moseley (Gbr) Trek World Racing 6.878
5. Emmeline Ragot (Fra) Team GR 10.246
24. Miranda Miller (Can) 41.923
1. Aaron Gwin (USA) Trek World Racing 3:13.227
2. Steve Smith (Can) Devinci Global Racing 1.207
3. Danny Hart (Gbr) Giant Factory Team 2.006
4. Troy Brosnan (Aus) Monster Energy/Specialized/Mad Catz 3.903
5. Markus Pekoll (Aut) MS Evil Racing 8.052
53. Matthew Beer (Can) 19.411
155. Kyle Sangers (Can) 36.050