June 7, 2009 (Vancouver, BC) – The 5th annual TNA Westside Cycling Classic took place under perfect skies today in the Point Grey neighbourhood of Vancouver. The intense heat from earlier in the week abated and the prospect of rain never developed.
The first event in Cycling BC’s BC Cup series provided a great spectacle for the hundreds of fans on site. The elite men and women got under way shortly after 10 am with the men racing 126km and the women battling for 84km on the 10.5 km closed route around Pacific Spirit park.
The women’s race took a while to shape up with a small move just holding a 10 second lead for a number of early laps. The Queen of the Mountain competition started to heat things up with the ladies fighting it out for the $250. Jean Ann McKirdy from the Local Ride team took the prize and helped form the winning move, which included her teammate Laura Brown, Naomi Cooper (dEVO), Kristine Brynjolfson (Westwood Cycle/Cannondale). Lisa Howard (Escape Velocity) and Marie Claude Gagnon (Glotman Simpson) were just dangling off the back of this move. When the group passed the Finish with two laps to go it was clear the winner would come from the lead four. Coming in to the finish straight Laura Brown took advantage of some great teamwork and came through with the win. Naomi Cooper was second ahead Bryjolfson, McKirdy and Howard made up the top five.
A good size field of nearly 80 riders took part in the men’s elite race. It took a few laps but eventually the right mix of teams established a break and 12 riders went off the front. Included in this mix were Tim Abercrombie, Jesse Reams, Dan Skinner, Guy Biggar (Garneau Evolution), Brandon Crichton, Sebastian Salas (Specialized/Dizzy Cycle), Tyler Trace, Adam Thuss (Trek Red Truck Ale p/b Mosaic Homes), John Perkins (Glotman Simpson), Mark McDonald (H&R Block/Kona), Curtis Dearden (Westwood Cycle/Cannondale) and Justin Kerr (Liquid Fitness). This group managed to gain more than 6 minutes on the main field and sealed the deal that one of them would win the day. Brandon Crichton displayed amazing power by taking the win on every KOM lap, giving him the well-earned $250 prize. Everything looked to be coming down to a sprint finish amongst this group of twelve but a strong move by Tim Abercrombie and Justin Kerr gave them a gap that would see them to the line. The final climb witnessed an attack from Kerr that was too much for Abercrombie. Justin Kerr soloed in for the victory with Abercrombie close behind. Tyler Trace won the sprint for third and Jesse Reams and Mark McDonald closed out the top five.
The early races saw the Category 4/5 men and Master Men on the course. Some celebrity racers including former Canuck turned bike racer Trevor Linden and Iron Chef Rob Fennie took on the field but in the end Chris Squire (Mighty Riders) won the Masters event and Marc Perrot (Glotman Simpson) won the 4/5 battle.
Thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors and racers. The event was run in support of the BC Cancer Foundation.
Photos available here here.
1. Justin Kerr Liquid Fitness
2. Tim Abercrombie Garneau Evolution
3. Tyler Trace Trek-Red Truck Racing p/b Mosiac
4. Jesse Reams Garneau Evolution
5. Mark Macdonald H&R BLOCK – KONA
6. Sebastian Salas Specialized/Dizzy Cycles
7. Brandon Crichton Dizzy Cycle
8. Dan Skinner Garneau Evolution
9. John Perkins Glotman Simpson Cycling
10. Adam Thuss Trek-Red Truck Racing p/b Mosiac
1. Laura Brown LOCAL RIDE RACING
2. Naomi Cooper dEVo
3. Kristine Brynjolfson Westwood Cycle/Cannondale pb Vision-Sport
4. Jean McKirdy Ann LOCAL RIDE RACING
5. Lisa Howard ESCAPE VELOCITY / DEVO
6. Marie-Claude Gagnon Glotman Simpson Cycling
7. Chelsea Bilsbarrow LOCAL RIDE RACING
8. Shoshauna Laxson LOCAL RIDE RACING
9. Sara Neil Trek-Red Truck Racing p/b Mosiac
20. Brian Green Trek-Red Truck Racing p/b Mosiac
21. Steven Murray Independent
22. Otto Kamstra Team Whistler