August 15, 2006 –The 2006 Wheels for Wellness will held on Sunday, October 1, 200 at Hagar, Downsview Park.
Humber River Regional Hospital (HRRH) is one of Ontario’s largest regional acute care hospitals. Located in northwest Toronto, HRRH serves an area with more than 800,000 residents in one of the fastest growing and most ethnically diverse communities in the country.
The 2006 Wheels for Wellness is Humber River Regional Hospital’s inaugural cycling event with proceeds being directed towards the purchase of the new IMS (Imaging Management System)
We are targeting thousands of cyclists across the GTA to join the ride as well as members of the community to cheer on cyclists along the cycle routes as well as attend the Community Picnic after the ride at Downsview Park.
Three route options are available – 60 km, 100 km and a 5 km novice route. The 60 and 100 km routes take you though the scenic Oak Ridges Moraine and the 5 km novice route is located on the Downsview Park grounds. Route maps and more details are posted on the Humber River Regional Hospital Foundation’s web site.
The main rest stop for both the 60 and 100 km routes is at Seneca College, King Campus where toilet facilities, energy refreshments will be available. Quick rest stops will be available along the routes for emergencies and special needs. Information about rest stops is also posted on the web site with the route maps.
$50 Registration fee for the 60 km and 100 km routes — EARLY BIRD PRICE SPECIAL – $35
$25 Registration fee for the 5 km novice route — EARLY BIRD PRICE SPECIAL – $15
TAX RECEIPTS AVAILABLE FOR PLEDGE SPONSORS OF $10 AND MORE
Humber River Regional Hospital has secured the participation of Sue Palmer-Komar, Kate Pace-Lindsay, Tonya Rouse and Michael Barry as participants at the event to cycle, present awards and sign autographs at the Community Picnic following the cycle.
SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY
* Ride begins and ends at The Hangar, Downsview Park
* Free parking
* Registration begins at 7:00 am
* Start times
* 100 km – 8:30 am
* 60 km – 10:30 am
* 5 km novice ride – 12:00 noon
* Community Picnic begins at 12:30 pm
* Awards & Prize Presentations — 3:30 pm
AWARDS & PRIZES
* Top three individual fundraisers — total value of pledges
* Top three individuals collecting the greatest number of pledges
* Upon registration, cyclists will receive your choice of a Wheels for Wellness T-shirt (sleeves or sleeveless) or a Wheels for Wellness ball cap. In addition 60 and 100 km riders will receive their choice of 4 promo items (t-shirts and/or ball caps) for their use to secure pledges.
* The following are incentive prizes for cyclists achieving fundraising goals.
* Raise $250 and receive your designer Wheels for Wellness riding jersey
* Raise $500 and compliment your riding jersey with a pair of matching riding shorts
* Raise $750 and complete your riding outfit with coordinated socks and riding gloves
CYCLIST SUPPORT SERVICES
* Seneca College King Campus will be the official rest stop for both the 60 and 100 km routes. Other rest stops along the routes will be equipped with toilet facilities, water, energy drinks and fruit
* Route marshalling will ensure maximum safety for cyclists
* Safety vehicles and ambulance services will be available along the routes to accommodate cyclists’ needs
* Technical support services from Cyclepath will be on hand to assist with minor bicycle repairs
We will celebrate the day’s success with a fun-filled community picnic at The Hangar, DownsviewPark. B-B-Q’s will light up at 12:30 pm and a selection of complimentary food and beverages will be offered. Cyclists, their friends, family and members of the community can enjoy a B-B-Q lunch along with a visit from Sleepy Bear, Travelodge’s official mascot, Sparky, official mascot of the Fire Department, music, entertainment, clowns, face-painting and much more! Plus a chance to win a Weber B-B-Q.
Popular chefs, the Fat Boys will be the celebrity B-B-Q cooks