August 5, 2006 (Gent, Belgium) – The 2006 Junior Track Worlds opened in Belgium today with Canada’s Eric Smith (AB) missing the top-12 points race qualifications by only two spots (he placed 14th) and did not progress to the finals. Eyes are now focused on Monique Sullivan (AB) who will take part in the women’s time trial 500m event later today.
“It is obviously a sad news that young hopeful Eric Smith did not progress from his qualification heat in today’s men’s points race, but he will have the opportunity to make for it tomorrow at the pursuit race and we anticipate great results from our team in the coming days,” said Vincent Jourdain, road and track coach for the Canadian National Team.
Smith crossed the line tenth in the final sprint but with no points to his name ranked 14th.
Monique Sullivan (Calgary, AB) who is first year junior, will race in the 500m time trial finals tonight, as well as the sprint 200m and keirin competitions.
On Sunday, August 6, Eric Smith (Calgary, AB) will take part in the Pursuit and Lawrence Leroux (Oka, QC) will race in the Kilo competition.
Official results link here <http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stlevelid=TA&level1=3&level2=0&idnews=4289>
Canadian riders taking part in this event are:
– Monique Sullivan, Calgary, AB: track sprint
– Danielle Kenny, Calgary, AB: track endurance and road race
– Julie Beveridge, AB: road race
– Karol-Ann Canuel, Amos, QC: road race
– Eric Smith, 17, Calgary, AB: track endurance, time trial and road race
– Mark Hinnen, 18, Oakville, ON: time trial and road race
– Lawrence Leroux, 18, Oka, QC: track sprint
– AndrÃ© Tremblay, 17, QC: road race
– Guillaume Boivin, 16, Longueil, QC: road race
– Alexander Korten, 18, ON: road race
– William Goodfellow, 18, QC: road race
– Charlie Bryer, 18, Hamilton, ON: road race
Schedule of Events
2006 UCI Junior Track World Championships
Saturday, August 5, 2006 — Qualifications and track competitions: Men’s Scratch, Women’s 500m Time Trial, Men’s Points Race, Men’s Team Sprint.
Sunday, August 6, 2006 — Qualifications and track competitions: Men’s Time Trial Kilometer, Men’s Individual Pursuit, Women’s Points Race, Men’s American, Men’s Keirin
Monday, August 7, 2006 — Qualifications and track competitions: Women’s Individual Pursuit, Men’s Team Pursuit, Women’s Sprint
Tuesday, August 8, 2006 – Qualifications and track competitions: Women’s Scratch, Women’s Keirin, Men’s Sprint
2006 UCI Junior Road World Championships
Thursday, August 10, 2006 — Women’s and Men’s Time Trial
Sunday, August 13, 2006 — Women’s and Men’s Road Race