September 4, 2005 – September 4, 2005 — Julien Absalon (FRA) successfully defended his World Championship title today in the men’s cross-country event in Livigno, Italy, making it his fifth rainbow jersey.
The Frenchman also won the Olympic mountain bike race, last year.
Current World Cup Series Leader Christoph Sauser (SUI) finished second, only 18 seconds behind Absalon. Jose Antonio Hermida Ramos (ESP), who powered the Spanish team to gold in the team relay, finished third.
Geoff Kabush (CAN) delivered the best Canadian result, with a 14th-place. After he placed a career-best second at the World Cup in Angel Fire, New Mexico in July and third at the World Cup in Mont Ste-Anne, Que., a World Championship medal was a possibility for Kabush.
Seamus McGrath (CAN) pulled out a top-20 result with 19th place. Mathieu Toulouse (CAN) finished 28th, Ricky Federau was 49th and Kris Sneddon finished 76th. Roland Green (CAN) did not finish.
Results, 43 km
1. Julien Absalon (FRA) 2:07:34
2. Christoph Sauser (SUI) at 0:18
3. Jose Antonio Hermida Ramos (ESP) 0:54
4. Fredrik Kessiakoff (SWE) 1:32
5. Thomas Frischknecht (SUI) 4:15
6. Manuel Fumic (GER) 4:17
7. Hector Leonardo Paez Leon (COL) 4:29
8. Silvio Bundi (SUI) 4:47
9. Oliver Beckingsale (GBR) 5:08
10. Carlos Coloma Nicolas (ESP) 5:18
14. Geoff Kabush (CAN) 6:39
19. Seamus McGrath (CAN) 8:11
28. Mathieu Toulouse (CAN) 10:09
49. Ricky Federau (CAN) 16:15
76. Kris Sneddon (CAN) 30:10
DNF Roland Green (CAN)